Type 3 curly hair includes a range of curl patterns from loose curls to tight coils, and requires specific care to keep it healthy, defined, and frizz-free.
Curl density and width vary across the Type 3 spectrum, and these characteristics significantly influence your hair’s reaction to different products and levels of moisture.
In summary, Type 3 hair can be characterized as follows:
-It possesses a curly texture rather than being coily or wavy.
-It ranges from loose, lively curls to springy, tightly wound corkscrews.
-It tends to experience frizz when insufficiently moisturized.
Now, let’s delve into the fantastic realm of Type 3 curly hair, and explore the most suitable products for this hair type.
Here are our tips for products for Type 3 curly hair (also read this popular post for type 3 hair):
This post contains affiliate links, and we will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please read the terms and conditions for more details.
1. Shampoo and Conditioner: Look for sulfate-free, hydrating shampoos and conditioners that are specifically designed for curly hair. Of all the products out there, I would spend the least amount of money on shampoo and conditioner. A drugstore brand is fine (also see these drugstore product links). For clarifying, this poo is a good one Kinky Curly Come Clean or the Pattern Clarifying Cleansing Shampoo. And try the Mielle Organics Pomegranate & Honey Moisturizing & Detangling Conditioner or SheaMoisture Strengthen & Restore Conditioner.
2. Cowash: If you need to wash your hair more frequently during the week, switch out your shampoo for a cowash to retain moisture. Curl favorites are the Curlsmith Curl Quenching Conditioning Wash, and the As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleaning Conditioner.
2. Deep Conditioners: Invest in a high-quality deep conditioner or hair mask to provide intense hydration. Ecoslay’s Banana Deep Conditioner is a popular choice. Also the Mielle Organics Babassu Oil & Mint Deep Conditioner.
3. Leave-In Conditioner: A good leave-in conditioner can help keep your curls moisturized and defined. Try the Bounce Curl Moisture Balance Leave-In Conditioner (no protein) or the protein packed one from Miribel Naturals.
4. Curl Enhancers: Curl enhancers and defining creams help define and hold your curls. Some favorites include Bounce Curl Avocado & Rose Oil Clump & Define Cream.
5. Gels: Use a curl-friendly gel to provide hold and reduce frizz. Inexpensive ones include Harry’s gel, EcoStyler Argan Oil Gel and LA Looks Extreme Sport. A bit more pricey but worth it are Kinky Curly Curling Custard, and Ecoslay’s Orange Marmalade.
6. Silk/Satin Accessories: Use silk or satin scrunchies, pillowcases, and bonnets to reduce friction and maintain moisture. See them all here.
Join our Facebook closed group called Curly & Coily Hair for all (CGM or not, you are welcome).
If you love our content, consider subscribing to get all the membership benefits. Click HERE.
Also check out our Curl Consultation Package!